This past year I got involved in Toastmasters International and love it. I do a lot of presenting and facilitating for work so I thought it would be a great way for me to work on my speaking skills. Last year I also gave my first Matron of Honor speech at my sister’s wedding so I wanted to make sure I was extra prepared. I was determined to complete my first Toastmasters manual before having baby boy this summer, so I went consistently and did one speech per month and earned my Competent Communicator certificate a few weeks before I gave birth. One of the projects I had to complete was called “Persuade with Power.” I had to give a speech that would persuade the audience to do something. I decided to give my speech on the “5 reasons you should travel to the Philippines.” I knew no one in my club had ever been to the Philippines so I thought it would be a good opportunity to highlight the beauty of the Philippines.
So where is the Philippines? It’s on the continent of Asia in the western Pacific Ocean. It is an archipelago of over 7,100 islands.
5 Reasons you should travel to the Philippines:
- Paradise beaches and islands. The Philippines has the most beautiful beaches and many of the beaches of the Philippines are rated as the top 10 beaches in the world. The beaches have powder-fine white sand and clear turquoise blue waters. The views are incredibly gorgeous and the marine life is extremely diverse. The beaches in the Philippines are one of the best assets of the island country.
- Food and drinks. The cuisine in the Philippines is a mix of Spanish, Chinese, and American food. The food is always super flavorful and Filipinos are all about those sauces and spices. Some of the most popular dishes are often meat dishes, such as adobo. But if you don’t eat meat there is an endless amount of delicious seafood. Whether you are on the beach or in the city, you’ll find local street food. Banana cue is one of my favorites. It’s deep fried bananas caramelized in sugar. The fruit is the food I look most forward to whenever I am there. I think the best mangoes come from the Philippines. No where else are the mangoes as incredibly sweet and delicious as they are there.
- Relax & rejuvenate. With so many beautiful beaches and so much good food, there’s nothing better than just relaxing. You can get an hour long massage for 350 Pesos/hour at most of the places which is around 8 US dollars. The massages, the beaches, and the incredible hospitality of everyone in the Philippines makes it the perfect place to rejuvenate the mind, body, and soul.
- No language barrier. Over 90% of the country speaks English and it is the official language of the government and the preference for written communication. The official language, Tagalog, shares the same alphabet we use in English with a few differences so this makes it easy to read signs when traveling.
- The culture. The tourism slogan for the Philippines is “it’s more fun in the Philippines.” Filipinos are extremely hospitable and always offering you food to eat and a place to stay so you will always feel welcome wherever you go. Forbes listed the Philippines as one of the world’s friendliest cities in the world. There is such a mix of so many different cultures that make up the Filipino culture. You can see a lot of the influence of the Spanish and American culture. There is so much history to encounter throughout the Philippines from the remnants of World War II to the cross that Ferdinand Magellan brought with him when he brought Catholicism to the islands. The food, loyalty to family, love for music, dancing, and food make the Philippines one big celebration all the time.
So if you are considering where to travel next, I hope I’ve persuaded you to consider the Philippines. It’s more fun in the Philippines!